Tuesday, March 27, 2012

About that name

It was brought to my attention that I didn't formally announce the baby's name, nor explain its origin.

I apologize; I pieced my blog posts of the trip together from my travel diary and I thought I'd included that information.

I called the baby Beach Baby in this blog from the beginning. I decided on her name a few years into the adoption journey. The night before I met Jude the guide came to my room with a form to complete to start the adoption processing. The form asked for the child's English name. I hadn't intended to give out her name until I met her in person. I even had a 'back up' name in mind, just in case she didn't really match her intended name. Oh well, plans change.

Her name is Jude Frances Jie Connelly.

I named her after her grandparents. I was named after my grandmothers, so it seemed right.

Jie was her Chinese middle name. I wanted to retain part of her history.

Frances is the feminized version of my father's middle name.

Jude is for my mother, Geraldine. Her family called her Jed, and I thought Jude was very similar. I've also considered St. Jude to be my patron saint through this adoption so I liked that connection.

So that explains her name. It looks like we will have to wait until this summer to have Jude baptized but she officially Jude Frances Jie, in the eyes of China and the U.S., for now.