We stayed at the China Hotel which is fantastic. Now that we are in the second week of the trip we are meeting up with other families from Great Wall who adopted in other China provinces.
New GW guide, same kind of issues. They've changed the itinerary so we are doing the medical exam and visa photo today. Itinerary changes were to be expected, due to weather and other circumstances. But the guide didn't tell us last night that there's a $200 USD limit per day for currency exchange. Sucks but I wasn't too worried - a nice breakfast improved the mood. Jude managed to slide right through the highchair, she didn't even budge in the ancient highchairs in Nanning. Ah the public humiliation!
So we headed out for Shaiman Island for exams and such. Two hours I thought, so a bottle of water for the baby, comfy clothes for me, no need for extra diapers or a bottle of formula . . . nope we were gone for 6 hours. Unbeknownst to us, we were supposed to sightsee and shop too, and have lunch, before the bus would be back. Blew through Jude's nap time, she had congee and some of my sandwich for lunch but no bottle. And me, well I was wearing my new pants, my new too long pants. I was soaked to the calves by the time we got home. I didn't want to shop right then, wasn't prepared.
Jude feel asleep while we walked to the place for lunch, then was squirming and cranky after, I mean really cranky, and only slept for less than an hour for her nap. Cranky strikes 1 and 2. Back on the bus after 1:30, the guide says, oh you need to fill out the consulate paperwork this afternoon (another variation from the itinerary), come to this room at 4:30. Cranky strike 3.
I get to the room at 4:30, oops, you needed to bring all your paperwork, plus the packet from Nanning. Jude and I go back to the room, get the goods, leave the key in the room, can't get to the other floor without a key card, can't get a new key card without an ID, which was still on the other floor in the diaper bag. Cranky strike 4. Finally get to the room, wait my turn and the guide's roommate shows, and suddenly, just sign these three papers she will do the rest. I felt a bit like I was getting second class service because the roommate, another guide, was there and they wanted to socialize. Cranky strike 5.
Oops, BTW we are going to Chen Temple tomorrow plus we are going to the Pearl Market. Another long day. I'm tempted to do the Pearl Market another day but maybe I'll just look around and catch a cab back to the hotel earlier. Cranky strike 6.

