Sunday, March 18, 2012

Day 7 - Chen Temple and Pearl Market

Another rough night with baby. The play yard the hotel supplied for a crib is too high on the sides and too low in the bottom for me to easily put her down without jostling her. So we were up off and on.

Another good breakfast. Jude loves scrambled eggs and she had some yogurt, but again I haven't found a fruit she will eat. I knew today's excursion could be a long one so at least I packed well. We went to the Chen Family Temple but it was really cold. I ordered a chop with her Chinese name. A chop is a personal stamp, the equivalent of a signature. For all the adoption documents the Chinese official marks are all red stamps; the adoptive parents were required to sign and stamp our fingerprint.

The temple was beautiful with delicate sculptures on display. There were artists in residence as well; naturally the art I liked was well out of my price range. I'm trying not to buy a bunch of little things; I'd rather bring home a few items that have more meaning. That and I only have so much space in my suitcase.

After that we stopped at the Pearl market. We had 2 bus loads of GW families and we were crowded into a store the size of a walk in closet. I'm not really claustrophobic but it got to me. Then I realized I didn't want another set of classic pearls so I went over to the more expensive place and got a double strand of irregular pearls, and a bracelet and earrings. I told Jude that she would have to make due with her grandmother's pearls, these were for me! It dawned on me as she was stringing them that I should take Mom's old rings I never wear and have the stones set in a nice clasp for the pearls when I get home.


Pearl Market store
I approve of your selections