I met one of the other families at breakfast. The Mintos have an 8 years old and are adopting a 2 year old. Next to arrive were the Stones, who have a 3 year old at home and are adopting a little girl a few months older than BB. The last family will arrive later this morning. We had to exchange our money for the donation and provincial fees at the bank. Michael (the guide) had to help me because one person can only exchange X dollars a day. The couples just split the amount. The exchange took us longer than expected so we were late leaving for Gotcha.
We finally gathered in the lobby to go to the Civil Affairs office. It all seemed so surreal. Two of the families have been waiting as long as I have - six years. After that long of a wait, what's a few more minutes?
On to the bus, out of the hotel driveway, and right across the bumper of a taxi. Crunch! No one was hurt but the drivers got out and argued and we caused a big traffic jam. Remember what I said about a few minutes? Ha!
After a half an hour, and with much worry that the Civil Affairs orifice would close before we arrived, we climbed out of the bus. We dodged traffic back into the hotel and waited for them to bring the children to us.
Every time a van pulled up we strained to look - nope, not our kids. Another van arrived and out came to Westerners - nope not our kids, so we turned away. But when we looked again, there were more Chinese persons in the lobby and they had children with them! Our children!
There were three little girls, two walking and one being held, with her head turned. I was worried I wouldn't recognize her, but then the littlest one turned her head around and it was her, it was BB! She looked just the same! I said, to no one, "she's real". It was major confusion and I eventually walked over and the nannies handed her to me. She was a little reluctant, but no tears. She was very quiet. Someone was taking pictures; I was too stunned.

