Thursday, March 15, 2012

Day 6 - Renmin Park, Nanning


I mentioned the local park in Nanning.  It is called Renmin Park or Peoples Park.  Looking at maps of Chinese cities the people park is a constant.  Even though we visited on a gray day it was beautiful.  A huge, koi filled lake, surrounded by massive mangrove trees, with nooks and spots for people to play, exercise, dance, stroll - anything.  The guide explained that it is common for Chinese to retire at 50 and the elder generation is most involved with raising the grandchildren. Parks like these are full of toddlers and grandparents enjoying the day.

I really wish we had something like this.  Most parks in Columbus are a playground, open field, a few shelters and a simple walking track.  This is what a park should be, and free to the public.

I've attached some pictures and videos I shot that morning.  I tried to shoot the local flavor and include footage of the families in my group.