Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Day 4 - Venturing out on our own

Bought a lovely hot pink Piglet stroller. Kaitlyn (the 2 year old on our trip) will be so jealous! Tried to find an Airport Express so I could use my iPad but was getting conned at the Apple reseller so I left. I'd rather beg Internet access off another family than pay through the nose. Saving my money for pearls in Guangzhou. Finally figured out the trick to getting Jude to nap - I draped the giant baby comforter over 2/3 of the crib top and it blocked the light. Plus she can't figure out how to sit up. Victory!

And all hail the conquering mommy! Chris and Rhonda stopped by our room to tell me about a complex a few blocks away that just had baby and kid stuff. It meant crossing the scary, scooter filled intersection and walking, by myself with the stroller down two long streets to get there but I did it! Yes, we were stared at, yes we walked around strange storefronts and people fixing scooters on the side walk, heck we even stepped into the street and dodged those scooter terrors and lived to tell the tale! I bought two outfits, one is a sleeper that's likely too warm but it is darling. The other is a dress and sweater set, which sadly didn't come with a diaper cover, but I just realized they'd never dress a baby with bare legs here. I'm just glad I ventured out on my own. I needed to conquer that here, to prove to myself and others that I'm not helpless. Just remember folks, always let someone know where you are going on these brave adventures and when you leave, so they'll know where to and when to begin a search.

Tonight was our last in Nanning, so naturally to fully appreciate this culture, we all went to dinner. At Pizza Hut. Pizza Hut with 38 pages to the menu, serving wine, steak, smoothies, and fried rice. Jude is willing to try everything and is learning to actively chew food. She's fallen madly in love with the sweet potato puffs, eating two bowlfuls this evening. It seems like she just getting her appetite back. Maybe her head is clearing. Back at the hotel it was bath night. That went over like a bag of broken glass. One round of wet screaming, thankyouverynuch. On the upside, she is asleep, and the screaming meanies combined with all the food she ate might just keep her asleep. I need to finish packing yeah!