2/22
Last night wasn't as idyllic as Tuesday night. She was up at 11 for a bottle, then up again before 4 with a stuffy cough. She had a diaper change and some cuddling until she crashed again, but she was up before 7 and my morning was not executed as I'd wished. We still have issues with changing and exposed skin, but she did drink a full bottle and have some congee, eggs and (I confess) bacon this morning.
The Mintos went with me across the street to the grocery store. They've been a tremendous help. I needed formula, diapers and another bottle. Now that I've done the grocery once I can do it again alone if needed. Crossing the street is scary, particularly the little side strips that aren't regulated by lights. The scooters can be quite mercenary.
If I haven't said it before I'll say it now - I'm anxious to leave Nanning. The thought that we have 2 more days here is depressing. It's a nice enough place but the arrangements has been haphazard, the rooms so so and the service barely tolerant of Western guests. I know I'm just grumpy, and hopped on new mommy hormones, but I really want the convenience of my home and loved ones. I'm hoping Guangzhou is better.
Tried to go down to lunch, Jude got up early from her nap, but surprise, surprise, the dining room was closed for a private event. Unbeknown to our group, this will be the rule, not the exception. So we ate in the room and score one for chicken congee! It was a hit and she ate the entire bowl, save the bit I spilled on her and the carpet.
Had an interesting evening on many levels. We left the room to meet two of the other families for dinner in one of the hotel's restaurant which in fact was closed for a private function. And the other two restaurants were not open (see above comment). We ran into another set of parents from another agency and they were headed to the open air street market. We all tagged along.
That was the real China, they part tourists don't see. This couple lived in China for 6 years and were fluent in Mandarin. We wandered for a bit and saw many things that were fascinating many that I refuse to speak of ever. Then we tried to find a dumpling place that was recommended, and that excursion lasted many blocks, past more wild sights. We found the place, climbed 3 flights of stairs to find it closed. We eventually settled on a place and let them order. I tried this eggplant and peanut dish that was fantastic. Jude loved it! Guess I'll need to find a similar recipe and try it at home. Sadly my sore throat (from all the drainage caused by the pollution and air quality) was pretty bad by them and all I really wanted was water, and some Advil.
I realized about half way through the adventure that my brand new pants were too long and just being dragged through all the muck, and um, parts. Ick. Jude was up after her bedtime which just made her crankier to try and get to bed.
Right now I just want this sore throat to leave. I've got my days mixed up. I'm happy to realize tomorrow is Thursday and our last full day here. And it's Walmart day!